That is almost a contradiction in itself I know. But it is what I am doing now. My wife and I made the decision about a month ago and unfortunately I do not do much half assed. I jumped in with both feet and quit meat (excluding fish) cold turkey. No pun intended. Here is the issue I am faced with. Truck stops are not known for their veggie fare. Almost all of them have a smattering of deep fried this or that. All of it is usually meat based. Burritos, corn dogs, chicken wings, pork egg rolls and other random goodies. Then there is the cold area. Sandwiches of every variety including the occasional tuna salad or pimento cheese. There are salads but they almost all contain bacon or ham.
Most of the bigger truck stops have a restaurant inside. Some have a Denny's and others have Arby's or McDonald's or other fast food places. For the most part though it is hard to find a good vegetarian menu in these places. I like to stop at the operating centers that my company owns and eat and sleep there. They have free showers and laundry and most of them have a cafeteria inside. I have yet to find one that refuses to make me a breakfast item for dinner. Tonight I had an awesome vegetable quesidilla at the Carlisle PA operating center. There was tomato, onion, green pepper, broccoli and cheese. It was topped with sour cream and salsa. OMG was it delicious. I may make it after all.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
No comments:
Post a Comment